So I’m still in the middle of knitting Emerson by Véronik Avery, and I decided I had to knit a hat based on Barbara Walker’s The Turtle right away. A hat is a pretty quick project, I used to be able to turn one out in a day, as long as I was knitting with DK or worsted weight yarn. Now it takes me longer, but I still get through it more quickly than, say, a knee-length coat, and I think I just wanted to finish something.
Flash forward a few days. Everything is going wrong. OK, I’m being dramatic. I was fixated on tubular cast ons, and initially tried to make it work for a (k3, p2) ribbing, but it just ended up being too tight. Instead of giving up on the cast on, I decided to stick with (k1, p1) ribbing, which I was pretty unhappy with, but I just kept going anyway.
Next there were gauge issues. Row gauge, in particular. I just ignored the issue once I noticed that it was going to be a problem, and now I’m at a point where I’m ready to start decreasing (just finished the turtles) and the hat would be huge if I continued.
So I won’t. I’m going to frog this hat and try again with some Malabrigo Sock in Lettuce I have lying around (the current failure is Malabrigo Rios in the same colour). Of course, that’s a light fingering weight yarn, so it’ll take considerably longer to knit, so that kills the idea of a project I can finish quickly… I might go back to the Emerson for the moment.
* Meaning I kept thinking I could somehow salvage things. I was planning to snip the yarn after the ribbing, rip out the ribbing, work it again the way I wanted it, and graft it together. And then when I realised there was no way the row gauge was going to work out, I just didn’t think about it. And then when I finally decided I’d have to frog the whole thing it was such a relief, and now I’m quite happy to be working on Emerson again.