I’m still working slowly but surely on Tommy’s new jacket. Slowly because things keep interfering with my knitting time (those pesky kids!)
I finished the left front a couple days back. As I was working on it, I realized it was ridiculous: it looks simple, but I was working four different stitch patterns at the same time, one of which was on a smaller gauge needle, and two of which had different row gauges from the other two and required short rows to compensate. Oh, and I was double knitting pockets. With a twisted stitch pattern in front.
For “fun” I charted to the top of the pocket. I’m pretty happy with it so far (the knitting, not the chart, which has at least one major mistake: I worked the k2tog two stitches in from the pocket edge, not right at the edge). I think I’m going to have to chart the whole front though (that is, both fronts), because the diagonal transition to stocking stitch also requires short rows 8 out of 10 rows.
- Which I should have done with a couple cable needles, but they make my hands feel clumsy, so I try to figure out ways to avoid them. In this case, the stitches were travelling to the right, so I just knitted the third stitch, twisted the first in front of the second, which I then slipped wyif, then purled the final (originally first) stitch.
- It was not fun. But I’m thinking of writing this up as a pattern, so I’m trying to keep good notes. It won’t be for the faint of heart, if I manage it.